[OS X TeX] Initials - fonts

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jul 15 09:10:55 EDT 2009

On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:33 PM, George Ghio wrote:

> On 15/07/2009, at 11:07 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:29 PM, George Ghio wrote:
>>
>>> Ah, I didn't. The installation was from Texlive08.
>>> Let's make no bones about it, I use TeX but am a fair ways from
>>> understanding it. I can find some of the files but it is hit and
>>> miss. I really just don't understand the structure.
>>>
>>> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/initials.
>>>
>>> Library/TeX/TeXmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/initials.
>>>
>>> It always seems that the person who writes the documentation
>>> assumes that the reader already knows as much as the author.
>>> (Sigh) Such is life.
>>>
>>> As far as I understand it I did a full install. I suppose the
>>> first step is "Where should the files be?"
>>>
>>> Any help is gratefully accepted.
>>>
>>> George
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> 1)Installing in texmf-dist is discouraged since a re-install will
>> overwrite the changes/additions. You should put the files in texmf-
>> local (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local).
>>
>> 2)Did you run `sudo texhash' after installing the files? [This lets
>> TeX ``know'' the files exist.]
>>
>> 3)Where did you put the .map files and did you run `sudo -H updmap-
>> sys --enable Map foo.map' for each of the map files (i.e., put the
>> proper map name in for each map file in the initials fonts. [This
>> tells latex how to use the fonts.]
>>
>> 4)What about the .sty and .fd files? Where did you put those?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>

> 1) I used the installer. I use Tex as installed.
>
> 2) I have no idea how to do this. I wish I did, but, I don't.
>
> 3) The files were put wherever the installer put them.
>
> 4) The .sty and .fd  files are wherever the installer put them. I
> have yet to find a .sty file for the Initials package, anywhere on
> my computer or the www.
>
> Now then Herb. I appreciate that you have knowledge beyond my
> ability. I do not know how to do what you know how to do.
>
> To date I have yet to find a simple guide for the use of TeX. All
> the guides assume that one already knows what is being described.
> Still I have managed to use TeX for my writing. I like TeX and I
> like this group.
>
> Let us assume that the installer has placed all the files in correct
> places. If I put - \usepackage{initials} - in the preamble I get an
> error that says that - initials.sty - can't be found. So is the -
> \usepackage{initials} - a correct command or are  - initials -
> actually contained in a different package and the command should be
> - \usepackage{???}.
>
> Many thanks for your time spent.
>
> George

Howdy,

When I download the initials fonts from CTAN there is no installer.
Where did you download the fonts? Taking a look at the initials fonts
I see no .sty files and the example files are all in Plain TeX so
there doesn't seem to be any support for LaTeX directly. I wish I
could help more.

I'm sorry if you feel I was over your head but when you said you
installed the fonts I thought you had some familiarity with the
structure of the TeX Distribution trees

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)