[OS X TeX] All TeX files are locked!

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Wed Jul 29 21:03:59 EDT 2009

Le 30 juil. 09 à 02:52, David Watson a écrit :

> On Jul 29, 2009, at 7:39 PM, André Bellaïche wrote:

>>> Note that if you restore manually from a Time Machine backup, you
>>> also end
>>> up with an ACL that prevents saving files, although you can open
>>> them.  You
>>> can't get rid of it from the Finder, either.
>>
>> What is an ACL ?
>
> Access Control List.
> This provides "granularity" in deciding what permissions are allowed
> to files/folders, apart from POSIX permissions (don't ask).
>

>>> It's odd that so many of those files/folders have world write
>>> permission...that's a security problem.
>>
>> I know, but I wanted my wife and me having free access to all the
>> math and related files, which lie in a third directory (nor hers,
>> not mine).
>>

> Depending upon the location and permissions of that containing
> folder, you may not have permissions to change permissions!

Sorry, it was not a third directory, but a third user. Being admin, I
suppose I can make all the files of this 3rd user accessible to
everyone. I did not suspect this would make Mac OS so mad. But it has
worked for months.

> You should try using "pico" to edit the files in Terminal.
> It's fairly easy to use.

OK. I have suppressed two lines in a .tex files, and I was able to
overwrite it by using ctrl-O.

The same with TeXShop would have put me into error messages and
denials of permissions.