[OS X TeX] Off topic: system stablitity

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Jun 21 20:15:32 EDT 2009

Hi, George,

On Jun 21, 2009, at 08:15 , George Gratzer wrote:

> Even though I reinstalled the system with wipe disk, it is much more
> unstable than ever before since the introduction of OS X. Now I work
> with the Force Quit Application window open all the time.

As others have suggested, let us know the OS version and hardware
platform you are using.  For most of us, Mac OS X is stable (certainly
more so than Mac OS 8/9).  Hardware problems can cause the kind of
instability you are seeing.  Also, if you have a bunch of 3rd-party
apps or "widgets" of some sort, these can also cause instability,
particularly if these were originally intended for an earlier version
of Mac OS X than the one you are running now.

One thing you can easily check is the system logs.  Open the Console
app (in /Applications/Utilities) and look at the system log for
entries that show up around the time you see problems.  If there are
error messages, you can search (e.g., via Google) for the message
wording to find pointers to discussions on Apple Forums.

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker