packages in TeXShop (was: Re: [OS X TeX] question regarding spacing after a period)

cfrees at imapmail.org cfrees at imapmail.org
Fri Mar 13 19:49:55 EDT 2009

On Sat 14th Mar, 2009 at 00:17, Peter Dyballa seems to have written:

> Am 14.03.2009 um 00:04 schrieb <cfrees at imapmail.org>:
>
>> My _impression_ is that if you aren't too
>> bothered about them being run quite so often, you may fairly safely
>> just leave the system to get on with it but I can't speak from
>> experience as I use anacron on my machine to make sure everything is
>> done
>
> It works! I stopped using anacron when Apple's last security update from 2008
> stopped the peaceful coexistence of Desktop Manager and Dock. The only cure
> was to archive&install (I can perform it now in three hours!). And I did not
> re-install anacron. Launch Service is a bit slow, i.e., eight hours can pass
> with the Mac on until it sees: oh, I missed one!
>
> BTW, in your system you should find that things get done twice ... (with
> MenuMeters or iStat menu in the  menu bar or GKrellm in X11 you can see two
> peaks of simultaneous CPU load and disk use; and of course there are the LOG
> files)

Actually, I won't because the LaunchDaemons for daily/weekly/monthly
have been disabled on my system. No point in doing everything twice -
not even sometimes. So I'll just take your word for it...

Anyway, I would really rather these ran under anacron. If it is going
to take eight hours to notice, it could notice at an extremely
inconvenient time!

- cfr