[OS X TeX] LaTeX to Word

Adam M. Goldstein a.m.goldstein at mac.com
Thu Mar 19 13:17:39 EDT 2009

tex4ht can convert to OpenDocument format (.odt, used by
OpenOffice.org). OpenOffice.org now has an Aqua native version, and
it's good to have around, because it reads and writes word really
well, and also is easy to use if you have to do word processing.

There is a GUI for tex4ht:

http://www.simpletex4ht.free.fr/

Check out

http://www.simpletex4ht.free.fr/LaTeXtoWord.php

It looks like the underlying binary, tex4ht, is included in MacTeX.

Openoffice.org:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/openofficeorg.html

I used tex4ht and this GUI before, it does a great job for a basic
essay with paragraphs, headings, and the like; I don't know how it
would work for something more complicated. But as Joe says below, the
best you can get, probably, is most of the way there, and then some
further tinkering will probably be required.

-Adam

On Mar 19, 2009, at 12:58 PM, Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2009, at 11:44 AM, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> I wrote an article in LaTeX on chess compositions, and the chess
>> magazine wants it in Word. I converted using Adobe Acrobat, awful.
>>
>> Is there a better way, preferably on a Mac?
>

> Try all that apply:
> http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php?title=Converters
>
> Some require compilation/command line usage. Some users have
> reported using htlatex then importing the html to word.
>
> Importing to LyX and exporting to rtf (then loading into word) can
> sometimes work as well.
>
> I don't think you can possibly end up satisfied so much as just
> getting a large step in the right direction with formatting issues
> to deal with. However, you get those with word anyways.
> Joe
> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq
> List Reminders and Etiquette: http://email.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/

Adam M. Goldstein PhD, MSLIS