[OS X TeX] Per-folder project root

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Oct 12 13:21:53 EDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> Is there a way to set a project root folder for an entire folder? I
> usually organize my lecture notes with a single tex file (Notes.tex)
> that inputs separate files for each lecture. It's a pain to make a
> separate project root file for each day's tex file. It would be
> great if there were a way to tell TeXShop to typeset any tex file in
> that directory using the same project root file.
>
> (I actually do this now using a custom engine, but I think the above
> solution would be better.)
>
> Chris

Howdy,

I guess I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish.
What do you mean by a ``project root folder''? It almost sound like
you have a particular file that contains definitions that are used by
the other files. If that is the case why not just make the file
containing the definitions generic (no documentclass, etc.) and just
\input it into the other files. A bit more sophisticated is to create
your own package, put it somewhere in ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/
(where ~ is you HOME directory) and then just \usepackage in each file
to include the definitions. That way each document is completely
separate.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)