[OS X TeX] [OT] cost of texts

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 27 21:57:43 EDT 2009

In 1971 I took an advanced freshman physics course. The text was
Edward Purcell's
brilliant Berkeley Series volume 2 on Electricity and Magnetism. It
cost, and this is
not a typo, $6.95. Hard covers.

The last time I saw it listed new (second edition, now regrettably out
of print) it was
on the order of $180.

That's a 2570% increase in just under forty years, 8% per annum.

Nice work if you can get it.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools