[OS X TeX] referencing external documents with xr

peter.frings at agfa.com peter.frings at agfa.com
Wed Sep 16 03:12:58 EDT 2009

Good morning Ross,

On 15 Sep 2009, at 21:42, Ross Moore wrote:

>> I was trying to find a way to refer to sections, figures, etc. in
>> external document, and stumbled upon the hyper-xr package. However,
>> I'm having a problem with it that I cannot figure out by myself...
>
> Do you mean Oberdieck's  xr-hyper.sty  package?

Yes. Never been good at remembering the order of things...

>> The problem is that the link to the external file uses the same
>> path as the one specified in the \externaldocument directive.
>
> The syntax is:
>
> \externaldocument[prefix]{document}[URL]
>
> That final optional argument is to provide the URL that
> a user will see, when reading your PDF in its natural web
> location. It should *not* contain a relative path in the
> local file-system that stores the documents, unless this
> relative path is also valid in the virtual one.

I'll look into the URL argument as perforce (the source control
system) has a web-based access to its repositories. That might be an
option.

But most people synch the repository with their local workspaces. As a
result, there is no such thing as an absolute pathname. The only thing
that is sure is that all documents are in the same directory, so a
relative path should work. Actually, it does work when the different
documents are built (TeX'd) from within the same directory.

> Hope this helps,

It probably does.

Thanks,
Peter.