[OS X TeX] Optimal Solution for an asymptotemk engine

Vic Norton vic at norton.name
Sun Apr 11 14:16:53 EDT 2010

I'd be very interested if someone could give me a clue on how to build asymptote on OS X 10.6. I've had no luck so far.

The commands
  $ sudo tar -C / -zxf asymptote-1.91.i386.tgz
  $ texhash
(from the directory containing asymptote-1.91.i386.tgz) seem to work, but
  $ asy
just produces the complaint
  -bash: /usr/local/bin/asy: cannot execute binary file
Curiously, the command
  $xasy
opens up a Python graphics window which seems to work fine.

I have had no luck with try to make asymptote from the source archive
  asymptote-1.91.src.tgz
The command
  $ make all
(after ./configure) always ends with
  In file included from mach_dep.c:163:
  /usr/include/ucontext.h:42:2: error: #error ucontext routines are deprecated, and require _XOPEN_SOURCE to be defined
  make[2]: *** [mach_dep.lo] Error 1
  make[1]: *** [check-recursive] Error 1

Any ideas on how to install asymptote would be greatly appreciated.

Presumably I could install version 1.88 with MacPorts. If I were to do this, I should probably get rid of the asymptote stuff that doesn't work, which I've already installed. The Asymptote users guide suggests doing
  $ tar -zxvf asymptote-1.91.i386.tgz | xargs --replace=% rm /%
  $ texthash
from the directory containing asymptote-1.91.i386.tgz. The first line doesn't work on my system. Would
  $ tar -zxvf asymptote-1.91.i386.tgz | xargs -J % rm %
accomplish the same thing?

Regards,

Vic