[OS X TeX] personal package : following 2

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Thu Dec 23 16:38:58 EST 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 3:44 PM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Since several have written, I'll reply more generally.
>
> We use an old version of Apple's package manager so MacTeX can be
> installed on many different systems. The structure of such packages is
> quite rigid. In particular, all installer scripts run as root. It
> isn't possible
> to install into user directories, and ~/Library isn't what you think
> it is.

Yes, I suspected that might be the reason.  If that's the case,
couldn't we just wrap the script into a clickable Applescript that the
user runs themselves? (Or offer that as an option for those running
pre-10.4 systems (probably very few at the moment.))

Can't the current package manager handle a variety of different OS
versions (back to Panther) and adjust its behaviour accordingly?

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com