[OS X TeX] Keeping TeX installations synchronized between machines

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jan 5 08:12:39 EST 2010

On Jan 4, 2010, at 10:44 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2010, at 10:21 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Personal files are just that and no-one can give general rules about them.
>
> To make sure that all my files have the same preamble no matter how I modify it, I stuck the preamble into a style file. I sure think of it as being personal. So, OK, I could put the style file into the folder in which I store the Magnum Opus. But what if I used fonts?
>
> I still think that Goedde has a point.
>
> Contrary regards
> --schremmer

Howdy,

As I said, personal packages that will be used in more than one ``project'' should be placed in your personal tree (starting at ~/Library/texmf/); TeX will find the files automatically there.

You can put personal fonts in the proper place in that tree too and then activate them globally using

sudo updmap-sys --enable Map myfont.map

(I have a philosophical problem with that but think the alternative leads to many headaches in trying to figure out problems that almost invariably occur) or personally

updmap --enable Map myfont.map

(note NO sudo and once you do this you must ALWAYS do this, even for global font---I really don't like this! That's why I say you should install fonts in the local system tree starting at /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/). If you use the latter the data is stored in ~/.texlive2009/ (for TeX Live 2009 of course).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)