[OS X TeX] Custom labels in Paralist

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:34:17 EST 2010

On Jan 5, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> At 2:34 PM -0500 1/5/10, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> In the paralist package, the tokens 1, A, a, I, i, create the
>> obvious labels.
>>
>> Occasionally, I would find it very convenient to have lists with
>> labels such as M N O P Q
>>
>> Would there be a way to force paralist ,or even another package,
>> to do so?
>
> At the beginning of the list (before the first item), just increase
> the relevant counter to 12.  If it really is occasionally this
> should suffice.
>
> e.g.
>
> \begin{enumerate}[(A)]
> \setcounter{enumi}{12}
> \item foo
> \item bar
> \end{enumerate}

With great disappointment, I must report that the above didn't work:
I still got (A) foo, (B) bar

> The enumitem package allows you to specify the starting counter in
> the list setup.  But if you're happy with paralist, you might as
> well stick with it.

\setcounte{enumi} didn't work with paralist either. Since it is
really occasional, I will try enumitem tomorrow.

The reason I would like to have it is only to list:

M. foo
N. bar
O. fly
P. whatever

so as to use in multiple choices such as:

a. M, N
b. P
c. O, P
d. M. O