[OS X TeX] Custom labels in Paralist

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Tue Jan 5 16:53:23 EST 2010

At 4:34 PM -0500 1/5/10, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>On Jan 5, 2010, at 3:32 PM, Alan Munn wrote:
>
>>At 2:34 PM -0500 1/5/10, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>>In the paralist package, the tokens 1, A, a, I, i, create the
>>>obvious labels.
>>>
>>>Occasionally, I would find it very convenient to have lists with
>>>labels such as M N O P Q
>>>
>>>Would there be a way to force paralist ,or even another package, to do so?
>>
>>At the beginning of the list (before the first item), just increase
>>the relevant counter to 12.  If it really is occasionally this
>>should suffice.
>>
>>e.g.
>>
>>\begin{enumerate}[(A)]
>>\setcounter{enumi}{12}
>>\item foo
>>\item bar
>>\end{enumerate}
>
>With great disappointment, I must report that the above didn't work:
>I still got (A) foo, (B) bar

Then you did something different than I suggested.  This code
definitely works as advertised:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{paralist}

\begin{document}

\begin{enumerate}[(A)]
\setcounter{enumi}{12}
\item foo
\item bar
\end{enumerate}
\end{document}

Yields (M) foo etc. for me.

>>The enumitem package allows you to specify the starting counter in
>>the list setup.  But if you're happy with paralist, you might as
>>well stick with it.
>
>\setcounte{enumi} didn't work with paralist either.

? I intended my solution to work with paralist.

>Since it is really occasional, I will try enumitem tomorrow.

You shouldn't have to do this, if you're happy with paralist.

>The reason I would like to have it is only to list:
>
>M. foo
>N. bar
>O. fly
>P. whatever

If these lists are embedded inside another list, then you would need
to increment the enumii counter and not the enumi counter.

Can you post a mini example with enough context of how you are using
the list to show exactly what didn't work for you.

Alan

Alan Munn						amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages		Tel.
	517-355-7491
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824 USA	Fax	517-432-2736