[OS X TeX] More help migrating machines

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 30 08:52:49 EST 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 9:40 PM, R. Vijay Krishna wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2010, at 3:44 PM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Thanks to Herb and Peter.
>>
>> My first problem seemed to resolve itself after rebooting. Now onto the second problem, re-enabling the lucida fonts. I have everything installed under ~/Library/... and I only care about enabling them for myself, so I ran
>>
>> updmap --enable Map=lucidabr.map
>> updmap --enable Map=lumath.map
>>
>> which I thought was the right thing to do. But pdftex doesn't find the fonts, it still tries to run mktexpk. So what step am I missing, or what did I do wrong?
>>
>> Chris
>> -
>

> Hi Chris,
>
> I think the problem may be your use of updmap.  If I am not mistaken, the map file being used is in ~/.texlive2009/.  (As Herb Schulz suggested to me some time earlier)
>
> Remove ~/.texlive2009 using
>
> sudo rm -fr ~/.texlive2009
>
> and then the correct map file should be found.
>

> Then run
>
> sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map lucidabr.map
>
> Hope that works.
>
> Vijay

Howdy,

While I generally don't recommend installing fonts in your personal tree (because of all the later problems when things don't seem to update properly, etc.) if done with knowledge and forethought it can work.

Can I ask where the map files are installed? At some point, and I don't remember if the change came between MacTeX-2007 and MacTeX-2008, the directory for map files changed. Also, at some point the old lucida map files were no longer part of the TeX Live distribution. You may have to go the CTAN and get the latest version of the map file for the lucida fonts.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)