[OS X TeX] Placement of page-sized figure

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sat Jul 10 21:54:51 EDT 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, at 3:44 PM, Richard J Benish wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Using a template provided by the journal, Il Nuovo Cimento, I can well enough place a figure (pdf) when it is small enough so that other text (besides the caption) appears on the same page. But I want the figure (with its caption) to take up the whole page. When I try this, however, I lose control of where it goes. The figure ends up at the end of the document, after the references.
>
> I've encountered a similar problem before, and in that case a workable solution was to use the \includepdf command. It worked because there was no bona fide "caption" to the figure. Whereas, in the present case, I want a bona fide caption.
>
> Is there a way to regain control of where a page-sized figure is placed using the usual \includegraphics command? Or a way to put a caption on a page using the \includepdf command? Or some other way to get the same effect?

> Richard Benish

Something like this has worked for me:

\usepackage{graphicx}
\newdimen\myht
\myht=\textheight
\advance\myht -.5in %or a bit less
\begin{document}
\newpage
\noindent
\begin{figure}[h]
\centering\includegraphics[width=\textwidth,height=\myht]{mygraphic}%full width, .5 in left below
\caption{Regular caption}
\end{figure}
\newpage

Michael