[OS X TeX] TLU broke my symlink

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sun Jun 6 16:50:42 EDT 2010

Actually, I don't know what happened.  I'm just hoping to get
attention :-}

I am using TL-2010 (on Mac OS X, 10.5.8), and update periodically.
Until today, I was using TLU 0.86.

Prior to the broken symlink, I had updated on 6/2.  Each time I
update, I run a few typesets to make sure I haven't hosed things
completely, and so far, no problems.

On Friday, I noticed BibDesk's preview was complaining.  Further
checking revealed this:

<justin at zippo:SageDays22> ls -l /usr/texbin
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  63 Jun  5 17:31 /usr/texbin -> ../Library/
TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/Programs/i386

as expected, but

<justin at zippo:SageDays22> ls -l /usr/texbin/
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  admin  34 Mar  8  2008 /usr/texbin/ -

was somewhat of a surprise (not to mention totally wrong).  Has anyone
seen this?  I don't make a habit of messing with symlinks in the
system's backyard, so this wasn't something I did deliberately.

I fixed the problem by recreating the 'texbin' link.

Hoping for clarity, and thanks, in advance...

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Curmudgeon at Large