[OS X TeX] Change in App store policy opens possibility of LaTeX on the iPad?

Jason Alexander jalex at lse.ac.uk
Sat Jun 12 07:24:22 EDT 2010

Dear all,

Many of you will have seen the recent announcement on Apple's policy change regarding interpreted code in iPhone and iPad applications:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/06/11/apple-eases-up-on-restrictions-on-interpreted-code-in-iphone-developer-agreement/

This seems like it would open the door for the possibility of LaTeX on the iPad. I realise that there are a number of other issues - I think the iPad API doesn't allow fork(), for one, which I believe is used in the pdfTeX engine - but at least the very idea is no longer a non-starter.

Are there any ports of TeX which make the basic engine available as a library? I've never looked at the codebase for any of them.

Cheers,

Jason

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic communications disclaimer: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/planningAndCorporatePolicy/legalandComplianceTeam/legal/disclaimer.htm