[OS X TeX] Underscore

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Mar 26 09:04:14 EDT 2010

On Mar 26, 2010, at 2:05 AM, Ulrich Groh wrote:

> Using "underscore" _ in a TeX document is a little difficult. If I type "_" I **always** get _{ } even if I don't like it at that moment. How can I avoid this behavior?
>
> By the way: the new completion list is great.
>
> Ulrich

Howdy,

If you are using TeXShop you can turn off TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Editor->Auto Complete which is what is putting in _{} (with the cursor between the braces) when you simply type _. It is smart enough so that escaping the _, i.e., writing \_, does work and that is what is needed with TeX under ordinary circumstances. I have a macro that I've assigned to Cmd-_ that inserts the bare _ too.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)