[OS X TeX] MLA-style Template

Adam M. Goldstein z_californianus-dated-1270506980.07a84b at shiftingbalance.org
Wed Mar 31 18:36:12 EDT 2010

On Mar 31, 2010, at 3:09 PM, Alan T Litchfield wrote:

> I use a text editor on the bib file (whatever is handy/installed but usually Notepad, WinEdt, TecnicCenter, or the like) and have references split into alphabetical lists demarcated by
>
> %%%%% -A- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%, etc
>
> When I want to find a reference, just do a search on -A-, -B-, etc. or scroll. Since all references are together searching is all text based.

I use this method too---just search the text file for author or title information, which I have in a separate, human readable document. It gets a little harder, though, when you have 3K+ references, which we do have in our database.

As well, when making changes, it's easy to forget a "," or something, and then you have to debug. I have BibDesk, but the interns at our lab don't have macs, and so they are the ones making changes directly to the source.

I am told off-list that JabRef does have support for non-standard fields, but that they have to be added in; and that it doesn't change the source at all. I am happy to hear that and feel embarrassed in a RTFM kind of way about not having picked that up.

:) to all

Adam

> Alan
>
> On 1/04/2010, at 7:19 AM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
>> While we are on this topic...has anyone had any luck with JabRef? So far as I can tell, it will *delete* all nonstandard BibTeX fields, which is crazy. I've been looking for something that Windows collaborators can use (we don't have RefWorks or the like) to edit a BibTeX database, but I haven't found anything. What do windows people do?
>>
>> Adam

>>> Endnote is no one's fav system, it's a curse which should be avoided by all means.
>>>

> --
> Alan T Litchfield
> AlphaByte
> PO Box 141, Auckland, 1140