[OS X TeX] Accented characters in Xe(La)TeX

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat May 29 04:53:20 EDT 2010

Am 29.05.2010 um 01:04 schrieb Dr. Clea F. Rees:

> 2) identifying which font files XeLaTeX is using in a particular run
> (pdfTeX gives at least some of this information e.g. it lists the TTF
> or PFB files it used but I don't know how to get XeLaTeX to do this);

You can make XeTeX stop at outputting the XDV file. Then invoke
xdvipdfmx manually with some level of verbosity and it will give you
some information on which font files are actually used.

> 3) understanding how to work out how to access particular features in
> OTF fonts e.g. OSF in Venturis ADF (as opposed to OSF in Skia which
> seems unproblematic), for example.

You can only select features which exist in the font. XeTeX comes with
the two test files

	/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/xetex/xetexfontinfo/aat-info.tex
	/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/tex/xetex/xetexfontinfo/opentype-
info.tex

which you can copy into your working area and edit and compile them.
Then the PDF output file will list information on the font you've
chosen to check.

> I'd really like a pointer to some straightforward documentation.
> fontspec and the font-info are not giving me the answers I had hoped
> for!

Of what? OT/TT font specification? TeX Live comes with the two
utilities otfinfo and ttfdump, Apple provides on its developers
connection (http://developer.apple.com/) the Font Tools suite,
Linotype (http://www.linotype.com/) offers its Linotype FontExplorer
X, from http://earthlingsoft.net comes the UnicodeChecker. The XeTeX
home page (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=XeTeX&
) has some links to documentation on XeTeX.

> (And apologies for having so many questions and offering no answers!)

Without questions some members might start feeling old and obsolete...

--
Greetings

   Pete

To be is to do.