[OS X TeX] dvips problem

lycee.condorcet at voila.fr lycee.condorcet at voila.fr
Thu Nov 11 12:06:12 EST 2010

Hi,

> > - xdvi works fine (3 images) with gs 8.71 but not with gs 9.0 (GPL
> > Ghostscript from macports)  (1 image) : ?????
>
> How do you achieve that either this or that gs version is used?

I have simply changed the PATH variable. And to confirm, I have rename the macports version of gs.

> > - if I modify the end of the file /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/
> > tex/latex/latexconfig/graphics.cfg with explicit calls to gunzip :
>

> I think there is no sense in modifying this file. Two reasons:
>
>   • it can be overwritten any moment when you update TeX
>   • the rule forces programmes to decompress the file unconditionally

It was just a test, but I know, a simple way to do that would have been to add the line :
     \DeclareGraphicsRule{.eps.gz}{eps}{.eps.bb}{`gunzip -c #1}%
in my TeX file...

> Xdvi knows in case of Mac OS X that it has to use gunzip before
> Ghostscript can render the included compressed PostScript file(s).
>
> A better place for your modified version is either in your private
> tree (~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/latexconfig) or in that of your
> system: /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/latex/latexconfig. After
> installation of your modified file a
>
> 	sudo texhash /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> is necessary.
>

> I wonder why no other MacTeX 2010 user can reproduce your failure with
> your set of test files...

Herbert Schultz obtain the same thing with my test. And probably there is no many people using dvips or dvipdf, and even less using .eps.gz files (all my friends use pdflatex)

Greetings
     François

  Découvez nos 10 astuces santé pour ne pas tomber malade cet hiver sur http://actu.voila.fr/evenementiel/sante-bien-etre-2010-2011/