[OS X TeX] theorem names

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Sat Nov 13 10:55:03 EST 2010

Le 13 nov. 2010 à 06:23, George Gratzer a écrit :

> I use the book document style and load the AMS packages, in particular, amsthm. Therefore,
> theorems with names, e.g.
>
> Theorem 5 (Fundamental theorem of AbelianGroups).
>
> is typeset with
>
> Theorem 5
>
> and the period in bold,
>
> (Fundamental Theorem of AbelianGroups)
>
> not. Of course, it is easy to make
>
> Fundamental Theorem of AbelianGroups
>
> bold, but I would need the parenthesis bold also.
>
> The amslatex distribution has a file called testmath.pdf in
>
> amslatex/doc/latex/amsmath
>
> On p.6 of this file there are two theorems with everything in bold. Unfortunately, there
> is no source provided or explanation given.
>
> Does anybody know the trick?
>
> GG

I have a similar problem, but different.

I would like not having the point after the the closing parenthesis in

> Theorem 5 (Fundamental theorem of AbelianGroups).

to be typeset in bold.

Typsetting this point in bold goes against the tradition in typography which says the ponctuation has to use the same font as the preceding text.

``Old manuals of style say that the punctuation after a word should be in the same font as that word.'' D. Knuth, The TeXBook, p. 14.

I have looked in the definitions of amsthm.sty, but I could not a way of changing the font of this point.

André Bellaïche