[OS X TeX] Miscellaneous Questions

Alan Munn amunn at gmx.com
Mon Nov 29 13:03:09 EST 2010

On Nov 29, 2010, at 12:58 PM, KHALID NADIRI wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> LaTex novice here.  Have a few very basic questions.  Any help would
> be much appreciated.
>
> 1. Does one have to download BibTex in addition to BibDesk? BibTex
> does not come with the full MacTex package, correct?

No, bibtex is part of your TeXLive distribution. (MacTeX) so you don't
have to download anything else. BiBDesk is a bibliography management
system which is (more or less) independent of bibtex (although it does
assume you have it for doing previews etc.).

> 2. If I wanted to change the item and paragraph spacing in a list
> per the syntax below, but wanted to specify different symbols for
> the labels of each item and sub-item (e.g., filled-in bullets for
> one item, open bullets for a sub-item, etc.), how would I change the
> syntax below?
>
> \renewenvironment{itemize}{
>  \begin{list}{}{
>    \setlength{\leftmargin}{1.5em}
>    \setlength{\itemsep}{0.25em}
>    \setlength{\parskip}{0pt}
>    \setlength{\parsep}{0.25em}
>  }
> }{
>  \end{list}
> }

The best way to do this is to use the enumitem package, which allows
easy customization of all list parameters.  If you are using TeXShop
as your editor, you can find the package documentation by using the
"Show Help For Package" menu item in the Help menu.

Alan

--
Alan Munn
amunn at gmx.com