[OS X TeX] Funny XeLaTeX Compile Problem with TeXShop

Jeremy Conlin jlconlin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 21:57:07 EDT 2010

I am trying to learn XeLaTeX so I can use some system fonts.  I have a
file (shown below) that I found on the intertubes.  This file
compiles, but only the first time I try it in TeXShop.  If I make a
change and try to recompile I get the message:

!
 * XeTeX is required to compile this document.
 * Sorry!
 ********************************************.
\RequireXeTeX ...********************************}
                                                  \endgroup \fi
l.26 \RequireXeTeX

?

If I close TeXShop, then reopen, the file compiles just fine and the
changes are shown in the document.  Does anyone know why this is
happening?

I am using MacTeX 2010 on OS X 10.5.8.  I use TeXShop with an external
editor if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
Jeremy

%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{letterpaper}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{amssymb}
% Will Robertson's fontspec.sty can be used to simplify font choices.
% To experiment, open /Applications/Font Book to examine the fonts
% provided on Mac OS X, and change "Hoefler Text" to any of these choices.
%\usepackage{fontspec,xltxtra,xunicode}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Hoefler Text}
\setsansfont[Scale=MatchLowercase,Mapping=tex-text]{Gill Sans}
\setmonofont[Scale=MatchLowercase]{Andale Mono}
\title{Brief Article}
\author{The Author}
\begin{document}
\maketitle
This is a standard TeX document using Hoefler Text. It uses \LaTeX\ and
the standard \TeX\ graphic packages.
% For many users, the previous commands will be enough.
% If you want to directly input Unicode, add an Input Menu or Keyboard
to the menu bar
% using the International Panel in System Preferences.
% Unicode must be typeset using a font containing the appropriate characters.
\newfontfamily{\A}{Geeza Pro}
\newfontfamily{\H}[Scale=0.9]{Lucida Grande}
\newfontfamily{\J}[Scale=0.85]{Osaka}
Here are some multilingual Unicode fonts: this is Arabic text: {\A ﺍ ﻟ
ﺴ ﻼ ﻡ ﻋ ﻠ ﻴ ﻜ ﻢ },
this is Hebrew: {\H ש ל ו ם },
and here's some Japanese: {\J 今日は}.

\newfontfamily{\Z}{Zapfino}
And finally, here is some {\Z Zapfino licious}
\end{document}