[OS X TeX] CMR fonts

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Oct 11 01:04:28 EDT 2010

Hi George,

On 11/10/2010, at 2:19 PM, George Gratzer wrote:

> I am on the road, and need to edit two illustrations
> for my book. So I downloaded Illustrator and to my
> surprise it does not recognize CMR fonts -- wants
> ro replace all my formulas with a substitute font...

Because the encoding is so weird; at least in Adobe's eyes.

There is an illustrator friendly version of CMR, as mentioned
in this extract from a 2006 posting:

>>> In fact, you can. The only impediment to doing this is that the
>>> Computer Modern fonts don't follow Adobe's PostScript font naming
>>> convention and so aren't recognized by Illustrator. Alberto Arabia's
>>> Tex-Illustrator fonts package provides Type 1 PostScript versions of
>>> Computer Modern with the correct names:
>>>
>>> http://www.math.jussieu.fr/~arabia/TeX/TeX-Illustrator.sea.hqx
>>> http://www.math.jussieu.fr/~arabia/TeX/TeX-Cyr-Illustrator.sea.hqx
>>>
>>> (These and other free font sets are available from
>>> http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex. A very good commercial alternative is
>>> the OpenType font UniMath from Applied Symbols.) On MacOS X, the fonts
>>> should be installed in the /Library/Application
>>> Support/Abode/Fonts/Reqrd/ directory.

Those links no longer work, but the fonts are on the Wiki:

    http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php/Typefaces#TeX.2FIllustrator_Fonts

> I checked the list of fonts available, and no CMR
> font was listed.

I've been using CMR with Illustrator CS2 quite happily for some time.
But maybe things have changed with later versions.

> My tex distribution is
>
> TeXLive-2010-64

If you *must* use Computer Modern, then try the TeX-Illustrator fonts above.

> GG

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au