[OS X TeX] CMR fonts

George Gratzer gratzer at me.com
Mon Oct 11 06:10:37 EDT 2010

Hi Ross,

You saved my life. Of course, I knew all this at one time,
those fonts were installed on my home
desktop a long time ago. And as new computers came along,
they were automatically inherited.

On 2010-10-11, at 12:04 AM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi George,
>
> On 11/10/2010, at 2:19 PM, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> I am on the road, and need to edit two illustrations
>> for my book. So I downloaded Illustrator and to my
>> surprise it does not recognize CMR fonts -- wants
>> ro replace all my formulas with a substitute font...
>
> Because the encoding is so weird; at least in Adobe's eyes.
>
> There is an illustrator friendly version of CMR, as mentioned
> in this extract from a 2006 posting:

> Those links no longer work, but the fonts are on the Wiki:
>
> http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/index.php/Typefaces#TeX.2FIllustrator_Fonts

I did not know this.

>> I checked the list of fonts available, and no CMR
>> font was listed.
>
> I've been using CMR with Illustrator CS2 quite happily for some time.
> But maybe things have changed with later versions.
>

>> My tex distribution is
>>
>> TeXLive-2010-64
>
> If you *must* use Computer Modern, then try the TeX-Illustrator fonts above.

Of course, I must. The book has 125 illustrations.
I want the formulas in the illustrations look like they do in the text.

If I switch the text, say to Times, I can use Spivak's fonts. For this, I would have to
redo 125 illustrations, with at least 1,000 formulas (this  number is just a guess.)

Attached a simple example.

Thanks again.

GG