[OS X TeX] fonts handling

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Mon Sep 20 03:12:16 EDT 2010

On 17.09.2010, at 20:45, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 17.09.2010 um 17:00 schrieb Simon Spiegel:
>
>> I also wanted to ask about this because I see different behaviours with different fonts. Some commercial Adobe fonts I tried accept the font name, others (Linux Libertine and Charis SIL for example) only work with file name and complete path. On what does this depend?
>

> Whether they are installed in your computer's font subsystem or not.
>
> XeTeX and its output driver, xdvipdfmx, use both this font subsystem, which delivers the necessary features of the font and dimensions of its glyphs. Xdvipdfmx additionally, because of its dvipdfm ancestor, reads a MAP file. Therefore make all your font files known to the font subsystem!

Maybe I should have written that I see this under lualatex. Here things seem to be different. I just saw it again yesterday: I copy Linotype Frutiger Next Pro to ~/Library/texmf/fonts/opentype and I can access it with the font name. Doing the same thing with Charis SIL or Linux Libertine doesn't seem to work.

Simon
--
Simon Spiegel
Steinhaldenstr. 50

Telephon: ++41 44 451 5334
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

„I'm not that easy to impress. – O, a blue car!“ Homer Simpson