[OS X TeX] TexShop preview is blank since last update

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Mon Sep 20 15:51:04 EDT 2010

Hi Herb,

On 20/09/2010, at 11:38 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I haven't experienced that behavior so Dick Koch will have to help
> out here. Having more details would help too. Does is happen all the
> time with all possible documents?

No. Once a document has been updated, the application quit and the
file reopened, it then displays correctly. Opening two files prior to
this step shows both files with no content in their previews but
processing one, quitting the application, opening the two files shows
the content again.

Note that normally when the preview pane is opened it displays the
first page. In this instance when no content is displayed it is
showing in the page counter that it is on the last page. The correct
number of pages are showing (say, 225) and one can move backwards and
forwards between the pages but of course, there is no content to see
on any of them. Also, the file size indicates that the pdf does in
fact have content and as I previously mentioned, opening it in another
pdf viewer shows the content correctly.

> Does it happen when you first open a file and a corresponding pdf is
> also present, after a first compile, after subsequent compiles?

As above.

> Is it a distributed document or a simple single file document?

Not sure what you mean. In the two cases mentioned above, both have
includes - is that what you mean by ``distributed''?

> Instead of quitting and restarting try to close the Preview Window
> and type Cmd-1 (the command to switch between the Source Window
> (which should be active) and the now non-existent Preview Window
> which should re-open the Preview Window.

Switching between source and preview does nothing to the preview pane
display. Closing and opening the preview pane display also does not
show the content. Only by quitting the application and reopening the
file shows it correctly. It is not a refresh issue I think.

> As far as the forum is concerned it became necessary to have folks
> register to leave messages because of the rise in spam. It's the
> world we live in these days.

Yes, I understand but I am already on too many forums to keep track of
now. I don't need more :)

Thanks
Alan