[OS X TeX] Re: TeX and 10.6.7

Phil Nelson nelson at physics.upenn.edu
Mon Apr 11 11:41:35 EDT 2011

I'm having a big problem with TeXshop 2.38 and MacOS10.6.7. This problem just
came to light in the past week, so very likely related to 10.6.7.

I set a file with default Computer Modern fonts.
Sometimes the resulting file is OK. Sometimes I get "could not extract font"
and garbled glyphs in place of some CMMI characters. Sometimes Adobe Acrobat
Pro 9 and X hang when viewing the file. Sometimes I send the file to PC users
and they cannot open them.

This is a big issue for me, so any workaround would be welcome. One thing
that helped was to reset the document in Palatino using
\usepackage{mathpazo}
This makes me wonder if standard LaTeX fonts are old and need to be replaced.

Thanks for any advice.

Phil Nelson