[OS X TeX] Curious Output Behavior

Scott, Randy Scott_Randy at sccollege.edu
Fri Aug 5 11:39:14 EDT 2011

Good Morning from Southern California!

I recently upgraded to TeXLive-2011, and after some initial bumps that I figured out things seem to be working, well, mostly OK.

I've noticed that my documents don't seem to match the layout settings in my editor. Here's what my preamble says:

\documentclass[10 pt, fleqn, lettersize]{report}
\usepackage[letterpaper, twoside, inner = 1.125 in, outer = 0.875 in, top = 1 in, bottom = 1 in]{geometry}
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}

When I compile the document and then go to Acrobat to print, the print dialogue says that the paper size is 8.5 in by 11 in, but the document size is 8.3 in by 11.7 in, which seems closer to a4 than letter.

The result of this seems to be that the margins are not correct, and an occasional picture will get its bottom cut off.

Is there a spot where I'm missing a paper size setting?

Thanks for your help,

Randy Scott
Associate Professor, Mathematics
Santiago Canyon College