[OS X TeX] Using TeXShop as a markdown editor

Axel Kielhorn tex at axelkielhorn.de
Tue Aug 9 11:11:50 EDT 2011

Am 08.08.2011 um 21:09 schrieb Richard Koch:

> Axel,
>
> Keeping TeXShop Help up to date is a nightmare for localizers. About half of
> the localizations just use the English Help. All the other localizations with
> localized help have ultimately given up keeping it up to date.

And I will not volunteer to take over the german translation, sorry.

> Until version 3.03, I kept a file in the source listing all help html files
> that changed in that version. If anyone would like to volunteer
> to keep a help localization up to date, I'd appreciate it.
>
> On another topic, would you like me to
>
> 	a) make ".md" one of the TeX file types that
> 	TeXShop recognizes, so users don't need to add it to
> 	the list via a hidden preference

Adding .md to the official list won't hurt.
Especially if you include the pandoc/markdown2pdf engines into the distribution.
I currently have:

markdown2epub
markdown2pdf
latext2epub

The only problem so far are filenames with spaces.
pandoc -r latex -t epub "$1" -o `basename "$1" .tex`.epub "$1"

If this is solved I gladly supply the engine files for future releases.

> and/or
>
> 	b) add ".md" as one of the extensions that TeXShop can
> 	edit so for instance you can create a new .md file within
> 	TeXShop?

This is one thing I'm still missing.
I can assign TeXShop as the editor for one file (or all files ending in .md) but the finder does not know that TeXShop can handle these files and thus does not offer TeXShop as a possible editor.

With these additions it will be easy for a new user to write markdown documents and convert them to pdf without touching the shell. (And maybe later move to LaTeX while staying in an already known environment.)

Axel