[OS X TeX] Font installation does not work

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sat Aug 27 11:16:08 EDT 2011

On Aug 27, 2011, at 7:04 AM, Thomas Käufl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently I installed the Classico package available on
> CTAN (/fonts/urw/classico). I put its files into
> texmf-local (creating directories in the same way as in
> the installation of texlive). Then I excuted
>   sudo -H mktexlsr
> followed by
>   sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map uop.map
>
> But the installed fonts are not found. For example the
> log of my test file contains the line
>
> LaTeX Font Warning: Font shape `T1/uop/m/n' undefined
> (Font)              using `T1/cmr/m/n' instead on input line 26.
>
> I then tried
>   kpsewhere t1uop.fd
> kpsewhere returned no result. This also happens with other
> files contained in the package.

Check first that you don't have a version of updmap.cfg and associated psfonts.map in your personal texmf trees. If you do have them, delete them and see if uop works. If not, it seems likely that the files did not end up where you expected them. You could try re-installing them using the following steps:

1. Expand uop.zip to a folder uop and, in Terminal, cd to the top level of uop, where you see subfolders doc, fonts, tex.

2. sudo cp -Rf * /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local

3. sudo mktexlsr

4. sudo -H --syncwithtrees

5. sudo -H updmap-sys

(I'm assuming uop.map was found on your previous try so is already in updmap.cfg.)

If all else fails, try the diagnostics in TeXFontUtility, from

http://math.ucsd.edu/~msharpe/TeXFontUtility.dmg

Michael