[OS X TeX] Two problems with TeXworks

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Feb 23 12:12:17 EST 2011

Le 23/02/2011 10:29, "M. Tamer Özsu" a écrit :
> On 2011-02-23, at 4:44 PM, Joseph Wright wrote:
>
>> On 23/02/2011 08:38, Manuel Pouring-Gonnard wrote:
>>> First, I noticed that when I "close" TeXworks by using the red button at the top
>>> left of the main window, I can't reopen it later from the dock as I would do
>>> with any other application (firefox, safari, OOo, etc). I need to first quit it
>>> (either right clic -> quit from the dock or cmd-Q from inside the app). Am I
>>> doing anything wrong? Is it a (known) bug?
>>
>> You need to do File -> New (Cmd-N) to get a new TeXworks window on the
>> Mac (I've always found it a bit odd, but I guess I've got used to it).
>>

> It is actually not that odd -- when you click on that red button, you are not
> quitting the application, but only closing the window. If you check it, you
> will see that TeXworks is still running. So, you need to open a new window
> (as you indicate), not restart the application.

Thanks for the details. I understand that the red button doesn't close the app.
I simply would expect double-clicking the icon in the dock when the app is
running with all windows closed to Do The Right Thing, in that case open a new
window, rather than forcing me to think "what I want to do is open a new window,
so let's hit cmd-N."

Not that it's a big problem, but that's what I'd come to expect from my very
short experience with other apps on OS X.

Manuel.