[OS X TeX] New Laptop...

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Jun 24 16:34:17 EDT 2011

Hi, Herb,

On Jun 24, 2011, at 06:18 , Herbert Schulz wrote:

> I'm considering getting a new 15" MacBook Pro with the i7 Quad Core. I don't run huge numbers of apps simultaneously so I think 4GB of RAM is fine. The only question I have concerns my choice of the standard 750GB/5400RPM drive or to special order it with a 500GB/7200RPM drive. Will the higher data density make up for the extra latency in some way? Will I even notice the difference. No, I can't afford an SSD!

Having been at this a long time, my usual decision is get the most bang for your buck that you're willing to shell out.  I assume, like many, this laptop will be with you for a long time, until you decide it's time to accidentally drop it in the pool (while sitting on your float chair, sipping lemonade ...).

I would opt for the additional memory for certain: remember that software developers always lead the target (shoot for the bigger, faster, systems that they know will be just around the bend).  This means that by 10.7 or maybe 10.8, your laptop's sides will be heaving, just to keep up.

The disk questioin is not so simple.  I opted for bigger, since I always run out of room.  If this will not be your main machine, you may want to go for faster.  And, there's always the cloud to stuff things into when space is tight, right?

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker
Director