[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 44, Issue 17

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Jun 24 16:45:22 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Jun 24, 2011, at 13:01 , soumya dipta wrote:

> Since we are at this topic, I thought it will be a good idea to ask:

By "this topic", do you mean " MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 44, Issue 17"?

> I am planning to get a new imac ( in july). My budget constraints encourage me to go for the basic 21.5 '; 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache; AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory.  ( the most basic one)
>
> My question is, if it is really worth the investment going for the 8GB RAM.

It really is.  Two related reasons: less paging, more apps running at a time.  This will also help as new releases come out, because the developers always assume bigger targets over time.

> Is there a major difference between core i5 and i7?

Apple has performance data (of a sort) on their website, e.g.,
   <http://www.apple.com/imac/performance.html>

> Also, are there any (hidden) disadvantages of  apple wireless keyboard over apple numeric keyboard, for Texing/ programming over extended periods of time?

I haven't used a wireless keyboard, so I can't say for sure.  I know several who do, and the common complaint is that the wireless connection (bluetooth) can break on occasion, frequently enough to be annoying.  YMMV.

> It is relevant to mention that: I am a mathematician, so my main usage (apart from email, you tube etc) are lots of Texing, some occasional python, C, Mathematica, Matlab, SAGE programming (nothing heavy duty though).

If you build Sage from source, you'll be really happy with more memory.  If you can handle the price for the Core i7, that will make you more happy.

HTH.

Justin

PS: *please* clip the parts of the message you reply to that aren't relevant, and change the subject when replying to "digest" messages.

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large
--------