[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 44, Issue 17

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 24 16:11:19 EDT 2011

On 24-06-2011, at 22:01, soumya dipta wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Since we are at this topic, I thought it will be a good idea to ask:
>
> I am planning to get a new imac ( in july). My budget constraints encourage me to go for the basic 21.5 '; 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache; AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory.  ( the most basic one)
>
> My question is, if it is really worth the investment going for the 8GB RAM.
>
> Is there a major difference between core i5 and i7?
>
> Also, are there any (hidden) disadvantages of  apple wireless keyboard over apple numeric keyboard, for Texing/ programming over extended periods of time?

Numeric keyboard has:

- Home and End keys, which have to be simulated on the wireless keyboard with fn+arrow keys

- dedicated  (forward) delete key, which is simulated on the wireless keyboard with fn+backspace (in applespeak the delete key). I fond this extremely annoying.

- left and right control keys, on the wireless you only have a left control key

On a laptop I'll put up (just) with the smaller keyboard but on a desktop machine I like the larger numeric keyboard.

I would go for the numeric keyboard.

Berend

BTW. Please start a new thread for this and don't hijack.