[OS X TeX] how include .eps in TeXShop using default

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 03:32:40 EDT 2011

> How in TeXShop (2.43) do I go about getting an included .eps or .pdf
> file in the pdf output when I typeset a LaTeX source file?
>
> I have
>
>   \usepackage[dvips]{graphics}
>
> in the preamble. And for getting the graphics, I try to use:
>

> \begin{center}
> \scalebox{0.5}{\includegraphics{mygraph.eps}}
> \end{center}

Other people have already pointed you in the right direction (e.g., use no extension, pdflatex vs latex, graphicx instead of graphics).
I would just want to add a word on scaling. With \usepackage{graphicx} you do not need to use \scalebox, you can indicate the scale in the \includegraphics command.
Hence, you can write

       \includegraphics[scale=0.5]{mygraph.eps}

Even better, instead of guessing the right scale by trial and error, you can stipulate, say, the width of the graphic and it will be scaled appropriately.
Use something like

     \includegraphics[width=0.6\linewidth]{mygraph.eps}

HTH

Luis Sequeira