[OS X TeX] how include .eps in TeXShop using default

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Tue Oct 4 03:59:29 EDT 2011

Le 4 oct. 2011 à 09:32, Luis Sequeira a écrit :

>> How in TeXShop (2.43) do I go about getting an included .eps or .pdf
>> file in the pdf output when I typeset a LaTeX source file?
>>
>> I have
>>
>>  \usepackage[dvips]{graphics}
>>
>> in the preamble. And for getting the graphics, I try to use:
>>

>> \begin{center}
>> \scalebox{0.5}{\includegraphics{mygraph.eps}}
>> \end{center}
>>

> Other people have already pointed you in the right direction (e.g., use no extension, pdflatex vs latex, graphicx instead of graphics).
> I would just want to add a word on scaling. With \usepackage{graphicx} you do not need to use \scalebox, you can indicate the scale in the \includegraphics command.
> Hence, you can write
>
>       \includegraphics[scale=0.5]{mygraph.eps}
>
> Even better, instead of guessing the right scale by trial and error, you can stipulate, say, the width of the graphic and it will be scaled appropriately.
> Use something like
>
>     \includegraphics[width=0.6\linewidth]{mygraph.eps}

> HTH
>
> Luis Sequeira

Luis,

Your last remark not seem to be appropriate when the figure is a math diagram containing text and lines of specified thickness. With [scale = 0.5], you know that 12pt text will appear as 6pt , that 1pt line will appear as 0.5pt, etc.

On the contrary, with [width=0.6\linewidth] you will never know the size of your text, and it may change from one figure to another.

André Bellaïche