[OS X TeX] Using MinionPro (and MnSymbol)

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 26 17:33:10 EDT 2012

On Apr 26, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Nestor E. Aguilera wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Intrigued by the recent discussions, I installed M. Sharpe's TeXFontUtility and installed MinionPro using the application.
>
> However, I have problems using \ell (in math). I notice that in the MinionPro documentation there is a mention that it is not provided by MnSymbol, but it doesn't typeset anyway.
>
> Minimal example:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{MinionPro}
> \begin{document}
> Typing $\ell$.
> \end{document}
>
> I get:
>
> pdfTeX warning: pdflatex (file /usr/local/texlive/2011/../texmf-local/fonts/typ
> e1/adobe/MinionPro/MinionPro-It.pfb): glyph `afii61289' undefined...
>
> which I assume is related.
>
> Any suggestions?

It seems you are using a recent version of the fonts which requires you to replace the original encoding files

base-MinionPro-aa.enc
base-MinionPro-ab.enc
base-MinionPro-ac.enc
base-MinionPro-ad.enc
base-MinionPro-ae.enc

with newer versions that may be downloaded from

https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/minionpro-devel/attachments/20090814/4e956ea2/attachment.zip

In particular, the glyph name afii61289 has been changed to uni2133, explaining your error message. I have yet to work out a way to change my installation script to reliably detect the need for the new encoding. The headers for both say the same: encoding files for MinionPro version 2.000

Michael