[OS X TeX] finding a file

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Wed Aug 15 14:30:24 EDT 2012

Thanks to a long list of people who responded.  I am now more confused than ever.

Of all the suggested terminal commands (find / -name calculus.bib 2>/dev/null, kpsewhich --show-path=bib | tr : '\n' | sort, mdfind -name caculus.bib), the only one that elicited any response was kpsewhich calculus.bib.  This actually found
a file, in a place I recall once having had:
/Users/zbigniewnitecki/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/calculus.bib
and is entirely logical.

It took me a while to remember how to access my user Library, but finally remembered about "Go" with "option/alt".
So I managed to get in to /Users/zbigniewnitecki/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/ and got that version of calculus.bib to be the same as the one I had already updated.

But I wanted to be able to work on it from several different locations, so I tried to put calculus.bib (or the folder "bib" or all of texmf) on dropbox.

I had already (apparently successfully) put my style files on dropbox, and they have been working fine.
So I took the "bib" folder from texmf and put it in my dropbox folder.  This seemed odd (given the other folders there)
so I created a folder "Style Files" in dropbox, put "bib" there as well as the folder "Macros", which was already on dropbox but at a higher level.  Now TeXShop won't compile, claiming it can't find the main macro file in "Macros", called basicmacros.sty.  So I moved "Macros" back to where it used to be, at the top level of my dropbox folder.  But now TExShop still can't find it.  I haven't gotten around to checking the story with the bib files.

So what is the proper procedure to get a folder on dropbox to remain accessible from different computers, but also so it lives on my TeX tree, so TeXShop can see it?