[OS X TeX] migrating from Emacs to TexShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 5 07:15:16 EST 2012

On Feb 4, 2012, at 9:38 PM, Chris Lott wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Alain Schremmer
> <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 4, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>>
>>> the power and beauty of emacs' fill-paragraph.
>>

>> Not having a clue and just out of curiosity, I googled "What is
>> fill-paragraph". As I understand it now, this has to do with left-justifying
>> only. And, indeed, Companion 2nd says on page 103:
>
> Wrong thing. What the OP is talking about is that, in Emacs, you can
> hit M-q and Emacs will rewrap your paragraph to the selected width,
> removing extra blank lines, short lines, and long lines introduced by
> editing. Vim does this for me just fine; I have no idea what TexShop
> can do.
>
> I have to say, though, that I'm surprised TexShop can't do that. But I
> also don't understand the compelling need for it. Contrary to the OP's
> experience, I find it *easier* to exchange files with long lines...
> the only exception being when sending email...

> --
> Chris Lott <chris at chrislott.org>

Howdy,

Seem to remember that there was a time (I'm showing my age here) when input buffers were rather restricted in size and TeX, as well as other programs, could choke on ``long lines''  so Soft Wrap was considered a no-no. All that has changed and I really appreciate Soft Wrap of paragraphs. And think of how many LFs you are conserving! :-) With Soft Wrap there is no need for being able to re-wrap, i.e., fill-paragraph, since it dynamically re-wraps as you change window width. I'm surprised that recent emacsen can't deal with that. :-)

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)