[OS X TeX] migrating from Emacs to TexShop

Chris Lott chris at chrislott.org
Sat Feb 4 22:38:54 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Alain Schremmer
<schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2012, at 5:56 PM, Enrico Franconi wrote:
>
>> the power and beauty of emacs' fill-paragraph.
>

> Not having a clue and just out of curiosity, I googled "What is
> fill-paragraph". As I understand it now, this has to do with left-justifying
> only. And, indeed, Companion 2nd says on page 103:

Wrong thing. What the OP is talking about is that, in Emacs, you can
hit M-q and Emacs will rewrap your paragraph to the selected width,
removing extra blank lines, short lines, and long lines introduced by
editing. Vim does this for me just fine; I have no idea what TexShop
can do.

I have to say, though, that I'm surprised TexShop can't do that. But I
also don't understand the compelling need for it. Contrary to the OP's
experience, I find it *easier* to exchange files with long lines...
the only exception being when sending email...

Chris Lott <chris at chrislott.org>