[OS X TeX] ps2pdf13 strange behavior

Patrick Wambacq Patrick.Wambacq at esat.kuleuven.be
Tue Feb 28 09:06:06 EST 2012

Hi,

I have a whole set of old slides in the seminar environment and recently I wanted to reuse them and change things here and there.
Then I discovered some strange behavior of the distiller ps2pdf13 (the one that comes with texlive).
This is a minimalistic example of code that shows the error:

\documentclass[portrait,a4]{seminar}
\usepackage{mathtime}
\begin{document}
\begin{slide*}
\textit{c}
\[ \frac{1}{1+2BLe/cF} \]
\end{slide*}
\end{document}

This produces the attached pdf with some characters missing in the formula as you can see.
If I don't use mathtime, it's OK.
If I use Apple's distiller (in the Misc tab of TexShop's preferences) then it also works.
If I change \textit{c} to \textit{a} or \textit{t} or something else then other characters disappear.
If I change \textit to \textbf then it's ok.
If I typeset with pdftex instead of TeX/DVI then it's ok also.

This is with TS 2.42, texlive 2011 with the latest updates, osx 10.7.2.
The mathtime fonts were succesfully installed (I think) and updmap-sys was run (and belleek was disabled since it interferes with mathtime).
There are other similar errors when I include postscript figures with \includegraphics* but I am not showing these here for the sake of simplicity.
Of course I can work around the problem but I am wondering what's going on here.
I've become suspicious of ps2pdf13 now and maybe it does wrong things in other documents where I haven't noticed it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Patrick