[OS X TeX] "Save as"

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Jan 15 21:16:54 EST 2012

On Jan 15, 2012, at 7:59 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. wrote:
>
>> What happened to the old "Save as…" feature on TeXShop?  I found it very useful when, for example, creating a template for documents that get repeated (in my case, e.g., homework assignments, or homework solutions) or for creating reformatted versions of older documents (e.g., changing the .tex file for generating a section of a solution manual into the .tex file for a handout about one assignment): I would make up a template then save it as whatever I currently needed.  With the new TeXShop editor, this is no longer available (command-S now gets the bell saying "no such command, stupid!").  If I duplicate (using the file pulldown menu), I get a .txt file, which is missing the various color codes in the TeX editor, and furthermore has none of the buttons at the top of the window.
>>
>> Of course I can use command-A to select all and then command-C to copy into an empty new file, but this takes more work.  I've looked into TeX help and can't find anything to help me with this.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>

> Howdy,
>
> TeXShop 3.0x (you should pick up the experimental 3.06 which has multiple bug fixes) uses Lion's new auto-save and backup feature and there is no more Save As… (take a look at TextEdit and you'll see the same thing). I use Duplicate. I've assigned Shift-Cmd-S [the old Save As… shortcut] to Duplicate in System Preferences->Keyboard->Keyboard Shortcuts by choosing Application Shortcuts; adding a shortcut; choosing TeXShop as the Application, Duplicate as the Menu Command and pressing Shift-Cmd-S. Right now you've got to explicitly add the .tex extension to the file name or choose TeX Document for the File Format; hopefully that will change with the next update.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

If you have a document that you use as a Template why not actually make it a Template? Move the template document to ~/Library/TeXShop/Templates/. Then when you want to create a new document based on that template just open a new document (File->New [Cmd-N]), click on the Templates popup menu on the Source toolbar and choose you template.

In case you're not familiar with it, ~/Library/ is the Library folder in your HOME folder. Under Lion it is invisible but you can get there in Finder by pressing the Option key and clicking on the Go menu.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)