[OS X TeX] command completion file for inline and display math mode

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jan 20 09:26:52 EST 2012

On Jan 19, 2012, at 9:18 PM, Alan Munn wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2012, at 7:10 PM, Dilan Fernando wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Does anybody know how to achieve the following:
>>
>> I want to be able to write something like \mathin (or some other appropriate key board short cut)
>> and hit the trigger key and get $$ for the inline math mode with the cursor conveniently placed inside the
>> double dollar signs and a 'mark' out side the environment to move out of the in- line
>> math mode quickly.
>>
>> Also, how does one do the same for the display math mode ($$ $$)?.
>
> Just as an aside, you really shouldn't use $$ ... $$ for display math in LaTeX, but \[ ...\]
>
> It will prevent you from using the [fleqn] class option and will also mess up vertical spacing when using  the amsmath package.  See <http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=dolldoll> for some explanation or
>
> texdoc l2tabu-en
>
> for an explanation (plus a good list of other things you shouldn't do).
>
> Alan

Howdy,

As I said, I use \[...\] for display-math and \(...\) for in-line math. The main problem with using \(...\) is that, by default, it isn't robust so that placing and in-line equation in something like a section heading doesn't work. That is easily fixed by adding a \usepackage{fixltx2e} in my preamble.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)