[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.06 jumping pages

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sat Jan 21 14:14:53 EST 2012

Hello Chris,

On 22/01/2012, at 12:21 AM, Chris Goedde wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded to Lion and TeXShop 3.06. I've notice that when I typeset right after fixing a TeX error that the TeXShop preview will jump to a different page in the document. (It seems to jump a couple of pages ahead or behind.) I never noticed this with 2.X on Snow Leopard and wonder if other people have seen this and/or it's a known problem.
>
> Actually, if I have the pattern right, what I'm seeing is:
>
> 1. TeX, but with error.
> 2. Fix error, reTeX, preview jumps back two pages.
> 3. Manually readjust preview to right page.
> 4. Continue writing, reTeX, preview now jumps ahead two pages.

This would be quite normal in a longish book with a Table of Contents,
requiring 3+ pages to show it all.

When you abort after an error, the job does not finish so much
of the information for the ToC is not written.

Next run the ToC in the front-matter shorter, if any is there
at all, but the preview is set to a physical page number rather
than to a logical one. Hence it can seem to be at a later
logical page.

Next run has all the ToC info, so the front-matter is longer
and the Preview jumps back to earlier pages, to compensate.

Any time you abort a typesetting run, you should expect to have
to typeset 2 or 3 times to get everything correct.

Is this explanation consistent with what you are seeing?

It would not be, if by "reTeX" you mean doing multiple runs
each time, (as with  simpdflatex)  before checking the Preview.

> Chris

Hope this helps,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                       ross.moore at mq.edu.au