[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.06 jumping pages

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 21 14:38:51 EST 2012

On Jan 21, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>
> On 22/01/2012, at 12:21 AM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I recently upgraded to Lion and TeXShop 3.06. I've notice that when I typeset right after fixing a TeX error that the TeXShop preview will jump to a different page in the document. (It seems to jump a couple of pages ahead or behind.) I never noticed this with 2.X on Snow Leopard and wonder if other people have seen this and/or it's a known problem.
>>
>> Actually, if I have the pattern right, what I'm seeing is:
>>
>> 1. TeX, but with error.
>> 2. Fix error, reTeX, preview jumps back two pages.
>> 3. Manually readjust preview to right page.
>> 4. Continue writing, reTeX, preview now jumps ahead two pages.
>
> This would be quite normal in a longish book with a Table of Contents,
> requiring 3+ pages to show it all.
>
> When you abort after an error, the job does not finish so much
> of the information for the ToC is not written.
>
> Next run the ToC in the front-matter shorter, if any is there
> at all, but the preview is set to a physical page number rather
> than to a logical one. Hence it can seem to be at a later
> logical page.
>
> Next run has all the ToC info, so the front-matter is longer
> and the Preview jumps back to earlier pages, to compensate.
>
> Any time you abort a typesetting run, you should expect to have
> to typeset 2 or 3 times to get everything correct.
>

> Is this explanation consistent with what you are seeing?
>
> It would not be, if by "reTeX" you mean doing multiple runs
> each time, (as with  simpdflatex)  before checking the Preview.
>

>> Chris
>

> Hope this helps,
>
> 	Ross

Howdy,

Thanks Ross. I hadn't thought about that sort of thing happening.

I also use the latexmk engines for most jobs that require multiple runs of (pdf/xe)latex with possible runs of bibtex (or biber used with the biblatex package) and/or makeindex in between. I think that only re-displays the pdf if it completes all operations so you don't see the movement between the runs.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)