[OS X TeX] Malayalam and other Indian languages on Mac

NMPOST7 nmpost7 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:55:38 EDT 2012

On 07/07/2012 21:33, David Watson wrote:
> If you have .otf fonts, you could try LuaLaTeX ;)

Thank you, David. At present I would not! Because, I am confused:
LaTeX,XeTeX,XeLaTex...... My difficulty now is that on Ubuntu I am not getting
the Malayalam language any more. The result after compiling is a jumble of the
English alphabet. No more text in Malayalam! It is more than frustrating, as I
have a huge project on hand ( all in all, a total of approximately 60 to 70.)
and I am running against time.

The requirement was that a document needs to contain both the Malayalam and the
German text. I could have done that in two packages. One document in two
versions of Malayalam and German. Right now only the German is possible.

In order to get my malayalam back, I am going to reinstall my ancient SuSe
package (9.3), that worked without any problem. I shall think of deleting
Ubuntu, which has given me only failures. The version comes with Texlive 2009.
I followed the instructions on the net regarding updating. All said and done,
the result has been a catastrophic failure (as far as Ubuntu is concerned)

Peter has been trying to help me, but my system does not seem to respond. It is
quite possible, that the errors are on my side. Unfortunately, I do not know
anybody, living close by, who knows (La)TeX or any other form of TeX.
All the people I know here use M$ and that is one thing I refuse to use.
(no M$ product will find its way on to my system)

Greetings
suren