[OS X TeX] apostrophe getting gobbled in TeXShop 3.11

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:16:24 EDT 2012

On 7/8/12 10:48 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2012, at 2:59 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
 >
>> >Somewhere along the line of upgrading TeXShop to the current 3.11, something seems to have changed so that now, if I type an apostrophe in the source, it gets gobbled up and never appears in the output.
>> >
>> >I'm currently running the TeXShop.app that was installed by MacTeX 2012 (although, I presume, my settings persisted from the earlier 3.11 I had installed for use with MacTeX 2011).
>> >
>> >What setting controls this?
>
> Can you give me an example of what you mean? When does it get gobbled up; in the source file or the final output?

I was typing an apostrophe in a source file, as in "here's", and it
would disappear from the TeX'ed output.

I found a cure in a 2011 post at:

http://www.latex-community.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2130#p58469

Namely, as the post quotes Richard Koch:

   In TeXshop go to the Edit pulldown menu.
   Select "Substitutions".
   Deselect "Smart quotes".
   Done.

I _think_ I had avoided the problem in earlier versions of TeXShop. IF
so, then I wonder whether the OS X default of smart quotes was
(re)activated upon updating of TeXShop separately or its reinstallation
as part of MacTeX 2012. But maybe I just never encountered the problem
before; I had been using Windows until summer 2011.

Murray Eisenberg                     murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
80 Fearing Street                    phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Amherst, MA 01002-1912