[OS X TeX] Getting started with LuaLaTeX, CCF fonts, ednotes

Paul Dulaney pmdulaney at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:42:25 EDT 2012

I’m returning to the LaTeX world after a hiatus of about 5 years. LuaLaTeX
looks intriguing, so I’ve decided to go down that path – but there have
been a few bumps in the road. I would appreciate any responses to the
following:

1. LuaLaTeX is supposed to be able to use the regular fonts on my Mac, but
it chokes on some of them. I came across the following: "Note however that
Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)

 contains a bug with its .ttc fonts, so none of these types of fonts can be
 loaded through LuaTeX. (E.g., system-distributed Cochin, Hoefler Text,
Optima,  etc.) This is a shame but there's nothing we can do about it"
(Will Robertson  at www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2010-May/025965.html).
So I upgraded to 10.7 over the weekend, but no joy. (I also upgraded to
texlive 2011.) There was also a post by Khaled Hosny (~Sept 2011) saying
that the .ttc files were being removed from the blacklist file. To anyone’s
knowledge has the handling of .ttc fonts been corrected in 10.7?

2. Is it possible in LuaLaTeX to specify specific font sizes? I couldn’t
see how to do this in the documentation.

3. Because my current project is an annotated/critical edition of a
17thcentury Puritan writer, I’m interested in using ednotes. Has
anyone used
this with LuaLaTeX?

4. A very specialized question with respect to ednotes (or the underlying
lineno package): I know that it is easy to get line numbering on every line
or every kth line, but what I would like is for line numbers to show up in
the margin only when there is something on that line for which I would like
to provide a note. The line number would then both indicate the line number
and would also provide an unobtrusive indication – more subtle than a
footnote marker – that there is some textual comment with respect to this
line.

Paul Dulaney